Wednesday, October 27, 2010
Either we see ourselves in a person, or would like to be identified as or with that person, and that causes the formation of any relationship.
Furthermore, any new relationship/friendship serves to identify our internal conflicts and demons. It is in effect - a projection of our subconscious mind. The fulfillment of a void via an external person is the basis of any friendship/relationship.
Monday, October 25, 2010
The usual practice is to finish a person's sentence, or deny respect, or try to be easily accepted. Shun that practice.
If someone is showing respect, decline modestly, but never indulge in self -derogatory comments.
Smile, observe and let the other people talk. Notice the paradigm shift in power and mystique simply by staring and nodding at a person. You can get them to talk 5 more sentences than they generally would.
The art of seduction lies in chasing the seducee, getting them hooked, addicted, and then left alone for them to follow you.
Always finish what you intended to say, or communicate.
In reacting to the other person, you are wasting time. Let the other person react.
Be silent !
Friday, October 22, 2010
I became an efficient slave.
Now, however, I am an efficient master.
I still maximise my productivity with minimum hours traded.
Now the question is...what is to become of these hours ?
Definitely not seinfeld or hulu.com.... Mad Men is good since it gives a different perspective on life.
Now, the focus should be on 4th business, house, marriage, im/export & the " Book on Everything ".
Singing lessons would definitely help balance emotional frustration & SuryaNamaskar would help with a better sleep & create a daily routine thereby feeding a general feeling of betterment.
There should be no guilt attached to taking time off. As long as the mind steers the world without moving a muscle and cash flows , it is all good.
Focused catering marketing will aim to increase 15% sales thus maximizing profit.
Monday, October 18, 2010
If we try and recollect a past emotion or memory, we can never quite recollect it. Maybe a momentary flash of the time gone past might have you shift your awareness to another time and space, but you are never really there.
So then, if it is non-tangible, non-existent, non-comprehensible...is it really there ?
If it is not here, then how can it be used to identify you ?
Your awareness and your ideas and your actions are who you really are.
Take a deep breath. What do you feel with that gallon of breath in your lungs ?
I feel calm, restful, alert, strong and fully aware. THAT is who I am.
Sunday, October 17, 2010
Thursday, October 14, 2010
How , and where do you conduct your business ?
Usually, you would conduct business at a place of your comfort, at a time of your comfort, with the people you trust and are comfortable with.
You would not work from 7 AM till 1 AM and then expect to continue working awesomely for the next 2 weeks..now would you ? Similarly, you should not meet someone ( especially if it is just ONE person ) from 7 AM till 1 AM every day for 2 weeks.
Business is supposed to be conducted when one is feeling at their prime...not flatulent, not sleepy, and definitely not emotional. Every relationship is like conducting your personal business to increase the net worth of your respect, and the circle of your influence.
Silence does increase your mystery value....your P/E Ratio so as to speak, but more on that later.
Friday, July 16, 2010
I was randomly browsing and chanced upon this amazing blog that is a must read for anyone and everyone. This article or post in particular strikes me because of an experiment I did back in 2008. I was visiting India on a summer vacation. So I put forth this task to myself If I had all the money in the world, and all the time in the world, how would I live my life ? Money came by easily since I was staying at my grandmom's place, and she showered the world upon me. Time was not an issue either since I was there for 15 days and had absolutely nothing to do. All I did was meet friends, eat good food, and lazed around. Quite surprisingly, I had thought I would be doing so much better than that. I would be composing tunes for my yet unreleased album, I would be taking notes to write my yet unpublished book, I would be meditating, working out.... However, it didnt matter how much time or money I had... It all boiled down to what kind of a person I was. Sadly, I am the kind of person who tries to relax all the time, because there is always an internal dialog going on....Should I be working towards something, or should I be relaxing ? Guess what ? the dialog in favor of relaxing wins. Maybe I am just relying on my lizard brain, or maybe I am smart enough to realise that in the end it doesnt even matter what you did as long as you did it with people you loved and had fun filled moments in life.
In words of the wise Nate, The point is, it doesn’t matter what you are doing or where you go because wherever or whatever it is, there you are.
Thursday, July 15, 2010
- Once you own a process or system, even though above mediocre, why let it go ?
- Generate a cash flow, while trying to master the process. e.g. once you handle financial records of your own small company, why not expand upon it and open up a new financial sector of your business, and provide services to external , non-competitive clients?
- Also, you need to have a way of stopping other people do the same thing that you do. Eliminate competition.
- Managers should paid as a % of sales, & weekly meetings at different locations.
- Internal audits should be stronger than governmental , and other external audits.
- Always have a personal overview of the finance.
Wednesday, July 14, 2010
- Never be afraid to ask for to much when selling or offer too little when buying.
- Overcome embarrassment. Be in control to walk away from a bad deal.
- People with integrity are predisposed to perform; people without are predisposed to not perform.
- You cannot make a good deal with a bad person. Reference checks are nifty.
- You can never un-sign a contract. Do your thinking before signing anything.
- Invest for life – like a catholic.
- When Warren bought stocks in the bear market of 73-74, he said it was like a “sex-starved man in the middle of a harem with beautiful women”.
- Buy companies with products that don’t have to change; businesses that will stay after 20 years.
- Stocks are like pieces of a business. # of stocks * Stock Price = price you would pay if you were to buy the whole business. Would you buy it?
- Invest in a business that a fool can run… because eventually a fool will.
- If a business needs lots of capital to grow, it will not make you rich, because the business cannot invest efficiently in growth expansion, people or processes. Neither can it buy back its stocks. Such a company rotates money for a long time.
- In a difficult business there is never just one cockroach in the kitchen. Warren avoids them even if the stock market is handing them out!
- All man’s miseries derive from not being able to sit quietly in a room alone.
- Coke, Wrigley, Gillette, Snickers, GE are companies that have gone on and on for a really long time. There is little that can go wrong with them. Where will their business be in 20 years from now?
- Wall Street is the only place where people in Rolls Royce get off to seek advice from someone who rode the Subway.
- Look for Integrity, Intelligence and Energy in your managers.
Tuesday, July 13, 2010
Person A invests time and emotions in a relationship with person B solely based on the net worth of person B. The net worth can be thought of in terms of wealth, fame, happiness or EQ.Most people will judge person B on basis of CURRENT net worth.
Networking gurus, politicians, etc., will invest in person B based on the POTENTIAL worth and CURRENT worth.
Now, how is this different from the financial world ?
I say, that a person can be overpriced or under priced because if a person is overpriced in one group of people he/she may not be thought of highly in another group of people.
Think of this on a larger scale in terms of international and emerging economies markets.
Monday, July 12, 2010
I am an ardent follower of his blog, and it looks like he has new insights almost every day.
His frat-boy like comments, yet buffet-type insights really strike a chord with today's generation.
Currently, I am saving up some money to enroll for his "Earn1K" Course. It is supposedly great for freelancers.
Never hire dumb people. Nor only will they under-perform, neither will they let you climb up.
Always hire smart, good-looking people, and know what exactly you have hired them for. Allot a work ownership to those people, and make sure that they do their job. 99 cases out of 100, they will. Why? Because they are smart and they look good. They have a reputation to live up to.
Have your materials, inventory, and resources in place before you make promises. A promise not kept is a promise broken. A promise broken is customer lost, and that is something that should be kept under rigid control.
Turn liabilities into assets. Never let something which can make money, sit idle gathering dust.
Train your speech to be polite, firm and honest. Train your employees to be thus also.
Avoid selling land unless absolutely necessary. Land is something that has to be bought, not sold. Trading of land is acceptable.
Read, discuss and learn about corporate mergers, acquisitions, and historical monarchial imperialism.
How can we make educational systems adapt to address the needs of tomorrow?
How do we make it more inclusive, accessible & attract the right minds for the right disciplines?
The educational system in any country is both a social and economic necessity. However it is also a system that is not easy to change. The impact of any changes takes a long time to realize. The current economic growth, both at local and global levels, has created a huge demand for resources with various skills and capabilities. But the question remains - are we doing enough, are we doing the right things?
This question has two probable answers. One is a short term, and the other is long term.
Let's start with the short term answer.
The immediate tomorrow needs to sustain the economic growth that
So I guess, a better balanced and kind of an all encompassing undergraduate academic tenure will assure that
The long term answer definitely lies in increasing literacy in
The government school system of
This is when the privatization of not for profit schools can come in. How many millions does an MNC spend in advertising???
What if that company, sets up a trust fund for an "x" amount of dollars, uses that money for setting up a school, and operating it? This charity work will not only ensure that the company gets media coverage, but will also work for the benefit of children who want to go to school, but have no economic means of doing so !
One plaguing issue that
Let’s say that the Ambanis decide to set up a plant in a village in
So, in a nutshell, for the long term improvement in education sector, the private firms , the big elephants must come together and devise a process that improves the quality of education at grass root levels in country, thereby improving their standing in the community, thereby improving their profits, thereby being able to spend more money on philanthropy, thereby creating a generation of well educated youngsters with smart brains, thereby being able to hire better Indians, thereby again improving their company profits !
Of course, neither of the two answers is as simple as I laid them out here, but the theory can work if further thought upon and then crystallized!